Implementing Meaningful Use includes a variety of deadlines to keep in mind for attestation and other processes. Reporting periods, for example, have specific deadlines that are very important to keep track of in order to successfully attest to Meaningful Use requirements.
Below are five important dates that providers and hospitals will need to be aware of for 2015.
1. December 31, 2014 – This is when the 2014 Meaningful Use reporting period ends and is also the final day of the physician quality reporting system reporting period. According to CMS the quality of reporting data during the 2014 PQRS program is what will determine whether or not a PQRS payment adjustment will be required for 2016.
Data from 2014 is important because it is the final year that eligible providers and facilities can receive incentives for satisfactory reporting. The HITECH Act states that although no incentives can be paid after 2014, providers that did start meaningful use in 2014 will still earn up to $24,000 in incentives if they demonstrate meaningful use for two years after they begin.
2. January 1, 2015 – The first day of the 2015 Meaningful Use reporting period for all providers in their second year or later begins. This is also the starting date for the 2015 PQRS reporting period for eligible providers and practices. Avoid a 2017 payment adjustment with a satisfactory PQRS data reporting in 2015.
3. February 28, 2015 – This is the final date for providers and practices to send 2014 PQRS data through reporting methods like EHRs and also the final day that 2014 claims will be processed and included towards 2014’s PQRS program participation. This is also the final day for the 2014 reporting year for Medicare attestations. Medicare eligible providers can prevent a 2016 payment adjustment penalty by successfully attesting for this period.
4. October 3, 2015 – The final day to begin a first year 90 day reporting period in 2015. The first reporting period can be any continuous 3 month period throughout the year.
5. December 31, 2105 – The end of the 2015 reporting period for Meaningful Use and PQRS. Attesting for any 2015 reporting period can help prevent a penalty in 2017.